Mold is found both indoors and outdoors and it can enter your home through open doorways, windows, vents, and heating and air conditioning systems. Mold in the air outside can also attach itself to clothing, shoes, and bags, and pets can bring mold indoors as well.
Mold will grow in places with high levels of moisture, such as around leaks in roofs, windows, or pipes, and wherever there has been water damage.
Mold grows quickly on paper products, cardboard, ceiling tiles, and wood. Mold can also grow in dust, paints, wallpaper, insulation, drywall, carpet, fabric, and upholstery.
Inside your home you can control mold growth by:
- Controlling humidity levels
- Keep humidity levels low—no higher than 50%–all day long. An air conditioner or dehumidifier will help you keep the level low. Humidity levels change over the course of a day with changes in the moisture in the air and the air temperature, so you will need to check the humidity levels more than once a day.
- Promptly fixing leaky roofs, windows, and pipes
- Fix any leaks in your home’s roof, walls, or plumbing so mold does not have moisture to grow.
- Thoroughly cleaning and drying after water damage
- Clean up and dry out your home thoroughly and quickly (within 72 hours) after water damage. In most cases you need a professionals help to get it dry quickly and safely without damage to your home. Call us at (800) 245-4622. We can help.
- Consider not using carpet in rooms or areas like bathrooms or basements that may have a lot of moisture.
- Ventilating shower, laundry, and cooking areas
- Be sure your home has enough ventilation. Use exhaust fans which vent outside your home in the kitchen and bathroom. Make sure your clothes dryer vents outside your home.
You may also check out our professional Mold Remediation services or call us now: 800-245-4622 .